Thursday 11 June 2015

Inspector Morse in Australia

The episode called Promised Land was made in 1991. Don’t know what made me tape this last night, but with bleary eyes Barry and I began watching after Master Chef. As usual Master Chef went over the schedule and we were left hanging who won the team challenge. Barry did his usual ‘gogglebox’ rant about me not adding extra time.

The episode began ­­– Morse and Lewis drive through the outback in an elderly red Holden station wagon. They’ve admired the Blue Mountains and driving into the town of Hereford. Barry and I jump to attention in our ‘rockers’ and both yell at each other – that’s Canowindra! 

Please note it is not pronounced ‘can-o-win-dra' but ‘cn-oun-dra’ – the latter you run the syllables together and emphasise the 'oun'. My grandmother Kelly was born in Nyrang Creek, just outside the town.


We had a fantastic week there in March, to research family history and attend the 100 Mile Dinner, a five course gourmet menu based on produce and wine sourced – well you guessed it – from within 100 miles of Canowindra. The main street is transformed. For a few hours one can go back in time, not a motor vehicle in sight. It was a magic night under the stars with smiling young ‘locals’ looking after the every whim of the 300 diners.


Barry at Bega Station 1979

So back to Morse: After the obligatory Melbourne cup at the 'local' and shearing shed scenes, Morse and Lewis have a run in with two country cops, Sergeant Scott Humphries (John Jarratt) and Detective Inspector Glenn McAllister (Max Phipps). Just in case you want to compare, here is a real country cop who has just been promoted to Sergeant.

I had moved to Parkes to work in ‘which bank’ when I was fifteen and joined the Parkes Music and Dramatic (M&D) Society. I remember lines from two plays. In one I played a gypsy: 'Any bitch who bore her brat in a ditch would be a better mother than you!' (Try saying that ten times.)

The second, called Will and Testament was directed by Max Phipps  – the M&Ds entry into the Central West Drama Festival at Forbes (circa 1955/56). I was the love interest of a character called Noel played by Norm Stenning, a local musician. The line ‘I was his housekeeper, nothing else!’ In those days I didn’t have much idea what ‘nothing else was’ but Barry and I had started our romance.

At the last rehearsal, Barry seethed up the back for a while then adjourned to the Railway Hotel. After the performance the adjudicator commented that he found the romance scene and kiss entirely unconvincing. Max was devastated. Later that night Barry said ‘It’s the M&D or me’. Max's dad Ozzie, a tough man, worked on the railway with Barry, and Mrs Phipps collected the entry money to the Parkes swimming pool. Max moved to Sydney to begin his brilliant career. His mum used to let me know how he was going, and me? A couple of years later I had to leave the bank because in those days married women weren't allowed to work in a country branch. 

In 1964 when we were living in Crows Nest, Barry and I went to see Max in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum at the Theatre Royal and caught up with him backstage. I can remember being a bit shocked – it was a risqué play in its day that was full of ‘nothing else’.

The Parkes M & D has just published an entertaining history, sadly they omitted to mention my starring role.

http://parkesmandd.com.au/index.php/about/54-history-part-4-birth-of-the-little-theatre


No comments:

Post a Comment