Tuesday 9 June 2015

Batemans Bay Writers and Readers Festival


During the festival, FAW Eurobodalla Writers launched their latest prose and poetry anthology Flights of Fancy ­– haven’t had time to read it yet but looking forward to ‘dipping in’. They have two very active writing groups at Moruya. 

Got chatting with Amanda Dalzeil during a coffee break (I just couldn’t resist the cherry ripe slice). President of the Writers of the Far South Coast based at Merimbula, she is a great young ambassador, handing out brochures and talking about their program. Turned out I knew her dad who was a teacher at Bega High when I was briefly a teachers’ aide there. 

Attended two great workshops, Nikki Cooper on how to publish an ebook on a budget and a creative writing panel with Julia Prendergast who spoke about ‘creative researching’; Jeff Apter who spoke on ‘creative interviewing’ and gave insights into juggling work as a music biographer and ghostwriter; and Emma Ashmere, who spoke about historical fiction. 

Emma’s advice was to know your characters inside out, ‘put them into a difficult situation then throw rocks at them’. Julia loves researching and also works at the Batemans Bay museum. Jeff said ‘I don’t put myself into books, I keep myself invisible’. There is no doubt he is an empathic listener. 
















Was unable to use my ticket for the final workshop with Linda Jaivin, there was a misunderstanding as it was intended for students only, and I felt it was too late to intrude on the other sessions that had begun. Overall a great festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment